Sunday, July 5, 2009

July 5, 2009 In Loving Memory of Ruth Dodson

Good Afternoon! I hope everyone is enjoying this weather with the people they love! Today I dedicate this blog to my grandmother Ruth Dodson, who was a powerful woman, who spoke her mind and was extremely outgoing. Today, 4 years ago my house phone rang, I answered, it was my grandmother, she was screeching, screaming! I gave my mom the phone and called 911 with my cell phone! We raced out of the house drove over and met the ambulance. I left my car running and my door open and ran into the house and there she was conscience but not able to respond. The paramedics got her on the floor, I told her we loved her, everyone loved her, it was going to be ok. She was pronounced dead at Provena Mercy Center. My mother and I now live in her house. My mother still has a hard time coping with the loss of my step-father who passed away 7 years ago to a rare cancer of the blood. She depends on me for a lot of support, but I depend on her as well for things too.

My grandmother taught who people were. My grandparents were caregivers to me throughout my life. I met so many people when I was with my grandparents, I probably know the most about my family's genealogy. I was a very curious child and always asked questions and she loved to answer them. She was very strong willed. She taught me that blue collar workers, were hard working people, not blue collar workers. Those are the ones that deserve the most respect. She loved to cook, bake, entertain! She would bake for the neighbors and bring things to total strangers homes. She knew everyone! My mother stays to herself, so I think that trait may skip a generation! LOL! Everyone knows that is me. She always got good deals when shopping, but never splurged. I get great deals and splurge way too much. We all have our flaws. Hey at least I am honest. The tong lashings I received for that one!

I in 14 years, have been through 7 tragic deaths in my family. It has been 7 years that my stepfather has been gone. All of which have made me who I am today. Ironic I win the mystery pot when I score in the 70's and my favorite movie that I believe that defines the ultimate redemption is 7 pounds. It teaches that giving back can bring joy and mend a heart. To me what better than to give to someone or help someone in need. That is just me and what makes me happy. Well I have those 7 angels above working overtime with me. My family has been dismantled, and torn apart. The family that was once a very social and loving family that was always together has grown and moved apart. Maybe that's why I enjoy everyone coming together. My dream is to bring people together. To see the smiles, to laugh, love and enjoy life. I watched my grandparents do that, people constantly in the house and that is the house I want to be in.

Well I think with all the tragedy, all the hurt, you hit rock bottom. Once your there the only way is up. Yes I have experienced a lot for someone my age, for that I am lucky. I now have an appreciation for life and for people. Many have not come to realize this yet. Those are the years that go wasted. I now can take the negative situation and make a positive out of it. Life moves on each day. There is no reason for hate. We all make mistakes, we all have flaws. Just be honest to yourself. Do what is right for you and you will do good that will allow you to good for others. People tend to forget that.

I know who I am, I am good, I am love, and I am happy. Have a great day, I am on my way again to spend a wonderful day with a wonderful family, who loves to give as well. Lord thank you, and to Grandma, thank you for watching out for me and teaching me, I love you and you are missed by many! God Bless and have a great day! Enjoy each other! If the good Lord lets us we will meet again in the morning.

Love,
Sarah


1 comment: