Tuesday, August 18, 2009

August 18th, 2009 Russell Simmons Tribute

Russell Simmons Tribute Week! Yes I did my Good Morning, having a panicking looking for his book Do You, because there were some quotes I wanted to use. Russell Simmons is so complex. He built an empire Def Jam Records and then went all in and invested into Phat Farm Clothing, only to become very successful. He works on other projects as well. His brother's show, Runs House, is were I first saw him. His sense of humor and work ethic caught my eye. He came from nothing and now he has everything. When I say everything, I mean everything. He is blessed to know what everything is. I am not just talking about the materialistic things, power and fame. I am speaking of the soul and great mind that rests in his body. He knows the true meaning of life. Many spend there entire lives never being able to figure that out. For that is what I admire him for the most. He could spend his days have drinks sitting on the beach, but no, he is dedicated to his employees, himself and to doing good things for people. I have spent my life searching and I have found it. I struggle a bit, but with God and now, thanks to Russell meditation, my life is becoming even more meaningful.

There is an ethic, a work ethic that very few have and those are the one's that become successful in life. He has that. I have that. Work doesn't mean sitting behind a desk. It means living each day to the fullest. I am 28 and lost my Step-Father at 21. I had to make all funeral arrangements and live with my depressed mother who told me she had nothing to live for. Always being over weight, never feeling good enough, I lost 135 lbs and came to a plateau. I went in and had plastic surgery. I had an advanced tummy tuck, skin removed from my arms, and Liposuction on my legs. My family was proud taking pictures. I then moved on and started getting infections and weird neurological symptoms. I was misdiagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. I could barely get out of bed. My Doctors were in Chicago and surrounding suburbs, for I had to drive myself. I gained 165 lbs, but was so exhausted I could barely eat. I lived in severe pain everyday. Doctors told me I ate too much, except for one I worked for, Dr. Brenart. I said one day, " I don't understand, calories in and calories out?" He said yes under normal Physiology but you don't have normal Physiology. Well I ended up having to quit my job I loved so much and do my best to get better. I hunted the best doctors around. I drove to and from Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN 3 times. Only to find they didn't know for sure. All I wanted before was to be thin and by then all I wanted to be was healthy. To work out play with my nephew, enjoy life was then my dream.

What does this have to do with Russell, well as the week progresses I will finish the story, and how I now know what the meaning of life is. By me staring death in the face, taught me the true meaning of life. Everyone says, I bet you wish you didn't have that plastic surgery, I say no, I wouldn't be the person I am today. Russell, whose book I am reading, has helped me even more now and I helped me get back to work along with prioritizing my life. He said in the book that exercising your mind and having a fit mind is much more important than a fit body. I will go into details later. He is a true leader, he does not follow. I try not to follow. I took a risk starting this blog, I am also writing a book, which I thought I would never be able to do. Russell deserves more credit than he gets that's for sure, and his sense of humor makes the ride worth while! Hands to heart!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment