Thursday, August 20, 2009

Thursday August 20, 2009 Good Morning, The Russell Simmons Tribute continues

Good Morning! Well It is an all nighter for me. I hit Michigan Avenue today, to run errands and I have to say there is something so wonderful about watching people. Pointing to buildings, looking at the architecture, museums, and moving on to the Magnificent Mile. Of course looking for Russell Simmons Books and Rev Run and Justine Simmons Take back your Family! The irony in this is I was raised in a catholic school went to an All Girls Catholic College Prep institution that was mostly white. One day I was volunteering for a school district in need and a guy I knew left his key pass at a bowling alley in Cicero, IL. I said hey I will go with you know problem. Little did I know that single random act of kindness would make a huge change in my life. From then on he needed a lift. Ok to a Bowling Alley! I hate bowling, alright it's men's league, I walked in and stuck out like a sore thumb. I was the only white person in the room. That was my introduction to "hip hop music, fashion, and culture that I got." I didn't realize how poor some were. Not even having a couple dollars, when I would make chat with them some would say were they lived, I would say oh by Michigan Avenue, I think the guys were rolling on the floor. I was so naive but yet it opened me up to a whole new culture. It was Thursday nights. It was the best time of my life. I learned there was more to life and Chicago than just Michigan Avenue but I am still able to enjoy! Those people are some of my closest friends.

The thing that is so wonderful about Russell is that no matter what race, age, or economical status, you are just as important as anyone else. If anyone asks me who Russell Simmons is I will say go home look him up, go to www.globalgrind.com look up his blog, then give me a call. He not only brought back fashion, hip/hop music, but he also contributes to, The Rush Philanthropic Arts Festival, Rush Communications, The Foundations of Ethic Understanding (I find hugely important), Def Comedy Jam, Run Athletics and his American Simmons clothing line American Classics! Those are just a few. The Book I have been reading Do You is just another stepping stone on his legendary path. I hate to say this but there are so many white people out there with this stereotypical view of hip hop. If they could open there blinders and see, they would see a whole new life. A life full of enjoyment and energy. Those people I met at that bowling alley, my good friends, are from a town Pilsen. Pilsen is were my friend Kate Boggaino has her studio and I saw one day an invite to Pretty in Pilsen. Who would have thought a girl I went to School with at the All Girls Catholic College Prep Institution with a graduating class of about 77, would end up in Pilsen. Then There was the Good Glam Gala, were I won a James Purcell Jr. Suit size 6. Not knowing what to do with it, I chose to give it to the Emcee that night Susanna Negovan, she really wanted the suit. She just happened to be the editor and chief of Michigan Avenue Magazine. Russell Simmons is so open minded, he lives a life of joy and happiness that many cannot find. He has found his inner peace, made successful businesses and chosen not to leave people behind! That is true, that is noble, and that is a legend.
Have a great day, I must try to shut my eyes, remember to turn up the music and enjoy!

Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment